A healthy paleo chocolate cake that’s free of gluten, dairy, nuts, and refined sugar. Easy and quick to make, to satisfy any craving.
Ingredients for cupcakes (approximately 18 servings)
- 3/8 cup (75 g) melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup (225 g) honey or maple syrup
- 5/8 cup (60 g) cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (for instance coconut milk, rice milk or almond milk if not sensitive to nuts)
- 3/4 cup (96 g) coconut flour
- 3/4 cup (96 g) arrowroot flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups paleo & vegan chocolate frosting
- Pre-heat the oven to 355 ºF (180 ºC) and line with 18 cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil, liquid sweetener of choice and cocoa powder until you get a mixture resembling thick melted chocolate.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each addition.
- Add the almond milk and whisk until you get a mixture that resembles hot chocolate.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add them to the wet mixture. Mix everything together until you get a homogeneous mixture with no clumps. The final batter will be quite dense, but that’s OK.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the three cake tins and smooth out the tops with a spoon or spatula.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 355 ºF (180 ºC) for about 20 minutes, or until the cakes have risen and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the baked cakes from the oven and allow them to cool. In the meantime, whip up a batch of the chocolate frosting. (recipe below)
- Pipe the frosting using your favorite tip. I used a star tip. Sprinkle some gluten-free sprinkles for fun and enjoy!
- The paleo chocolate cake keeps well in a closed container in a cool, dry place for about 3 – 4 days.
Healthy 3-Ingredient Paleo & Vegan Chocolate Frosting (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and de-seeded (they have to be perfectly ripe!)
- 3/4 cups (60 g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (135 g) maple syrup of honey (you can add more if you want a sweeter frosting – add 1 additional tbsp at a time, tasting as you go)
- In a food processor or blender, blend the avocados until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder and (liquid) sweetener of choice, and blend until all ingredients are fully combined. You should get about 1 1/2 – 2 cups of silky smooth, shiny chocolate ganache.
- You can eat the ganache as a pudding or use it to frost cakes, cupcakes or brownies.
- The healthy paleo & vegan chocolate frosting keeps well in a closed container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.